Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Kurt's Birthday April 29th

THE PLAN

About a month ago it came up in a conversation with Mila that Kurt's birthday was April 29th. She immediately started planning the affair and told me she wanted to buy him flowers for his birthday. We went to Costco that day and she wanted to get some. I explained that they would probably be dead by Papa's birthday and we should get them closer to the time. Since then we have had a count down and the birthday plan took shape. Mila wanted to get pink, orange and blue flowers - she decided these would be the best colours to make Papa happy. Then her and Julia were going to hide behind them in the back yard.When Papa got home and started looking for them, they would jump out to surprise him and sing happy birthday. There would also have to be a cake, of course.

THE REALITY

I woke up this morning and Kurt had already left for work (it wasn't THAT late - 7o'clock). Tried to call him to say Happy Birthday but ... his phone was dead. Attempted to get him on Skype but he was not online.

(the job interveiw:

This morning I had an interview at a hospital very close to us for a prn (every now and then!) position at 1030.I cuddled with the girls and read a story, took a shower and we all ate breakfast. I thought I was doing quite well getting the kids ready - they were going next door while I "nipped out". I thought I had this very well planned - I didn't have to drop kids off anywhere and Uchee, our neighbour was confident she could handle my three 'angels'.

A cascade of unfortunate events (blogworthy however) kept the morning more exciting than I had hoped.
830ish Liam pooped through all his clothes. I told myself this was great timing because now it was unlikely he would do the same thing next door! Liam had a bath.
850 Uchee came over to say she was home from dropping off kids at school. I said I would take the kids over in about an hour.
900 Liam was now starving and although I had just fed him, ate a whole bowl of rice cereal and applesauce.
910 Mila and Julia decided they would also like to eat apple sauce and rice cereal and assured me they could handle dishing it up themselves while I looked up how to get to my interveiw online.
915 I get dressed for the interview
920Liam pulled himself up on a chair, started bopping up and down to get attention and then pulled the chair on top of himself. Big bruise on his nose and forhead. Needed consoling, which included breastfeeding.
930 Julia drops the bulk jar of Applesauce on the kitchen floor then instinctively grabs a handful off the floor and puts it in her mouth. I am holding Liam and shout at her that she has a mouth full of glass and not to close her mouth. Then shove Liam into the high chair to have both hands to clear all the little pieces of glass and applesauce out of Julia's mouth. Relieved that I seem to have got all the glass out before Julia swallowed anything, I send the girls to their room.
BREATHE
940 I realise that I have applesauce smeared on my top. I take Liam up to Mila's room and ask her to watch him. I wash off the sauce and put my shirt in the sunshine to dry.
950 clean up big pieces of glass and tell the girls to get their shoes on to go next door.
1000 Get an extra diaper, wipes and food for Liam and take everyone next door.
Talk to Uchee - she says take your time:)
1014 on my way to the hospital
1021 At the hospital, brush hair put on lip ice!
1030 report for interview.
wait
1100 Someone else takes me around to show me the unit. The director is still held up.
1110 Meet Director and interview is rescheduled! What a waste of a stressful morning....I cannot even tick "job interview" off my list!! )

I go to Costco on my way home and pick up a tree for Kurt for his birthday present, hoping he and particularly Mila will approve!

1200 arrive at Uchee's - children very happy. Liam especially - she has fed him well. Chat

1245 lunch time and by 130 Liam and Julia are asleep.

Then it was time to clean up the morning's mess and start getting dinner organised. It took me sometime to pull things together after the chaotic morning. Mila and I schemed about how to "wrap" the tree. She suggested we cover it with a blanket... and ourselves with it. I took our Ikea Jokkmok dining table outside and put it on it's side in front of the tree and we lay Mila's duvet over it. This created an adequate place to hide for Kurt's "Birthday Surprise"

Kurt came home early and I had to lock the door coming in from the garage to keep him in there while I sent the girls outside. He was delighted at the 'fuss' his girls went to to make his Birthday special and said it was his best birthday ever!! This perplexed Mila.

The girls helped me make cookie ice-cream sandwiches for his "cake". We stuck a blue candle in the middle of the biggest one and voila "Happy Birthday to you".

I can't believe I didn't take a pic of these to post!

The next day at breakfast Mila asked me "Why do you think that was Papa's best birthday ever?" quite concerned!











2 comments:

Heather Palmer said...

That was quite the morning for you! Only Julia would be brave enough to grab a handful of that broken jar of applesauce and put it in her mouth! She cracks me up!
Glad Kurt had a great birthday!

Smookies said...

It is all these interesting things that happen in life that makes for interesting reading for us, Sylvia. At least, with hind sight, you can now laugh at all the happenings in such a short while AND in 1 morning.