Friday, January 16, 2009

Florida Fantasy... seagulls, sunshine and ocean sounds

Hello Florida
The view from our balcony... choosing the ocean view for $10 more a night was the BEST - thanks for insisting, Kurt:).

Got to have a great seagull picture when you are at the beach! ( we have more than one!)



And then the picture that will make you dream of Florida till you go back... one day



Sunrise from our balcony



When the children are in bed before 8pm ... we consider that a date in our house. Or, perhaps Liam is napping and the girls are playing quietly for moment and we leave them in the house to get the mail together - another date!! This is what it is like to have little children and live far from family!! Well, Kurt and I took full advantage of his parents visit and flew to FLORIDA for a few days. It was somewhat last minute ... yes, spontaneous... and frivolous and outrageous and indulgent. AND WONDERFUL. Where to start?
Well it all started when a friend up the street who works for Southwest offered us standby tickets FOR FREE. He arrived with the tickets in hand on Sunday evening and we flew out Monday morning at 730am. It was an exciting night of packing and booking a hotel online. I felt like I was a child on Christmas eve .... totally unable to snatch a wink of sleep all night. That voice of reason kept on insisting that I switch off and rest so that I would be able to enjoy the time away ... but the hyped up kid just lay there... all night. When we got on the airplane without any issues we both commented how easy it was. No chasing, herding, retrieving, singing, holding. I don't even think I apologised to anyone! Just Kurt and I and our adult reading material : a variety of South African Real Estate magazines, the INC magazine and the Ensign.
A peaceful flight later and we were our way to Jacksonville Beach in a red soft top Jeep (not our choice but a funky free upgrade from enterprise because they did not have an economy vehicle as we had booked online).
There were so many wonderful moments... the most memorable will be :
1. Sleeping late in the mornings.
2. Sleeping in the afternoon.
3. Long walks on the beach.
4. Going to sleep and waking to the sound of the ocean.
5. Being woken by a fire alarm and evacuating at 4am on our first night for an hour.... and not having to wake 3 children and drag them outside and then try to get them back to sleep ( hahaha... yes I even enjoyed evacuating the hotel !!)
Kurt and I have been married 8 YEARS now. Time flies when you are sleep deprived, I guess:) I love these moments of clarity when I know that I love him more now than I did last year. That spending time alone with him is even better now than when we were dating. He still makes me laugh every day. I cannot help smiling when I think of him... and breathing a little faster. Thank you for being not just the greatest DAD to our children, but the Man I want more than ever to be by my side for eternity. I love you, Kurt. May there be more Florida's on the horizon!!
Thank you, Rory, for the tickets!!