Saturday, January 31, 2009

My name is Sylvia and I am addicted to chocolate

I couple of weeks ago I felt awful. A severe headache and knots down one side of my body, barely able to drag myself out of bed... and nauseous. Whenever I feel this awful my worst fear is pregnancy - but I knew that was not possible. It is just that that first trimester makes hanging upside down from my toenails sound attractive.

Anyway, I thought I was coming down with a horrible case of flu. I acupressure-d and yoga-rised to little avail, it seemed. Then I threw up - twice. and gradually everything looked a little brighter. By that night I felt absolutley wonderful. I got thinking and realised that I have had similar episodes over the passed few months. One day I came home from work feeling awful and sure I was coming down with something tremendous.... only to go to sleep and feel great the next day. That night I was telling Kurt about it and he recommended that I keep a diary... indicating that something could be causing this reaction. At that point it dawned on me that I have been having Migraines. I had migraines in my early teen years. It has always been a "that time of the month" thing. But seeing as I have done all I can to avoid that with pregnancy and breastfeeding, I have not dealt with this for a long time. 3 months of hell vs 20 months period free ... its a toss up but I choose to look at the bright side of my mostly unplanned (which means just that for you Americans - not unwanted just unplanned!) pregnancies.

I have had this hunch lately that I have been becoming slightly dependent on chocolate. I know, I know - you knew that .... but I have been living in denial. You know, telling myself that chocolate has important emotional benefits etc. hahaha.
Well, when I went to the cupboard and realised it was bare, after my MIL bought 4 HUGE bars of cadbury's in the middle of December and I ran out of supplies before the end of January...

Well lets just say it is time to own up : My name is Sylvia and I am addicted to chocolate. It has become my confident, my reward, my happy place.

It all started when I realised that every few weeks, Cadbury's would be on sale at Tom Thumb (Texas' Safeway) or Kroger. So I would stock up for "emergencies". You know - those nights when you just need something. Well, it wasn't long before I was needing a little something most days. And sometimes a piece or three after breakfast.

Enough looking back. Tonight it all stops. I ran out of cadbury's before Kurt left and sent him with instructions (can you believe it) NOT to bring back chocolate from SA for me. But the last 3 nights I have found myself digging into Belgian chocolate covered cookies from Christmas that started beckoning from the top of the fridge. They will make perfect Valentines -I will give them away this week !

Tonight I start drinking Rooibos - Red Tea is a South African herbal drink with many great heath benefits.

Perhaps the migraines will go away too.

I have started following a few blogs I have come across - if you click on my profile (bottom right) you might find something you are interested in. Mostly I enjoy food blogs, but I have come across an interesting discussion on the Word of Wisdom (Section 89) and have renewed enthusiasm for decreasing consumption of meat. I hope Kurt is not thinking "here we go again"... I was practically vegetarian when we met - but pregnancy changes some things:)

Let me know what you think ... and if there are any great blogs you are following.

1 comment:

Smookies said...

Syls, everything is good for one but is needs to be in 'moderation'. lol. I do hope that you do feel loads better after your confessiona and now abstinance. Love to read your blogs.